Wednesday, June 23, 2021

HS Produkt VHS-K2 Airsoft Replica Build [Part 0: Introduction]

This is the HS Produkt VHS-2.

 


Often seen in video games looking for an exotic, "sci-fi"-looking assault rifle that actually exists somewhere. Allegedly, the Croatian military uses these.

Have you ever seen The Fly with Jeff Goldblum? Basic synopsis: Man creates teleportation machine. Fly sneaks in on accident when he teleports, and he comes out the other end having been turned into a horrifying fly-man monster. Now replace Jeff Goldblum with a FAMAS, and the fly with every noteworthy polymer rifle ever designed, and you have the VHS-2. It is a short-stroke piston bullpup rifle that gets very very hot when you shoot it. The controls are fully ambidextrous, and almost everything about what it looks like on the inside is a complete fucking mystery for some reason.

I never really noticed the VHS-2 until using it heavily in Insurgency: Sandstorm, and slowly over time I've come to love the design

Unfortunately, as it is in the airsoft industry, nothing's being made unless it's an M4, AK, or some other incredibly popular weapons platform that has every right to dominate any related industry it finds itself in. Until the VHS-2 somehow ends up in a popular movie or video game title, it'll probably never find a spot in the airsoft industry.


That's why people like me exist, I suppose.

 

Visually capable individuals will note the "belly" on the stock, which has replaced the forward assist and length of pull adjustment. This was necessary to fit the V1.2 FAMAS gearbox. 

I initially began the process by searching for a model I could simply modify into a functional chassis, but quickly realized that the only free, publicly-available VHS-2 models were either very low poly or had design inaccuracies in the worst possible places to have them... so I started making my own, from scratch.

Now, this isn't the HCC-2A project from years back, and I'm not the inefficient modeller that I used to be. This was no year-long journey of introspection to learn how to extrude a box and use boolean modifiers. I went from absolutely nothing to nearly done in about 10 hours of work spread over a week in my down time. There's still minor details left to go - charging handle, dust cover, and mock bolt are the big ones - but the bulk of the work is done now.

Of course, I haven't said a word about the insides yet.

 
The boring stuff: it'll use a 14.5" M4 outer barrel, a 363mm inner barrel, and a G36 magazine (the G36 magazine is so close to the VHS-2 mag that I really don't see a purpose in making my own magazines).
 
Because I hate myself, rather than just making this an HPA engine chassis, I've decided to make it an AEG.
 
 
Eternally lauded as a complete and utter nightmare, this is the gearbox out of a FAMAS. This gearbox design first piqued my interest years ago as a potential candidate for strange rifle designs. The key factor for the Cybergun version of this gearbox that plays in its favor is that it is not a typical V1 gearbox - the piston, spring guideand gears are standard V2 style, the spring guide seems to be V3, and the motor is a standard short-type motor. The cylinder head is a V7 (M14), and the air nozzle is P90 type. The only proprietary parts in the gearbox are the trigger contacts, cutoff lever, and gearbox shell itself. That is to say, for all intents and purposes, this gearbox is fully upgradeable - a significant advantage over the standard V1 gearbox.

Here's where the challenge comes in.

For my VHS-2 project, I do not want a mechanical trigger linkage. I have owned airsoft bullpups before, and these universally suck. I want a trigger that doesn't feel like I'm about to break something every time I pull it, and to accomplish that, I'll have to get creative. I need the gearbox to not only cycle the gearbox only one time on a semi-automatic trigger pull, but I also need it to enforce cycle completion - to force the gun to cycle at least one time no matter how long the trigger is pulled - on every shot in semi-automatic. I can easily wire a microswitch or PCB button in front of the trigger, but how do I moderate gearbox operation in semi-automatic if I can't use the cutoff lever?
 
 
This is a Hall effect sensor. Hall effect sensors detect magnetic fields and blah blah blah. Why is this important? The Hall effect sensor isn't useful by itself. But connected to an Arduino running just the right code, and this thing will report every single time the sector gear moves. Using this, I can instruct the Arduino to close a MOSFET every time the trigger is pulled, and to not stop sending voltage until the Hall effect sensor is triggered to a certain degree. 

Hall effect sensors can report very quickly - this little guy will report up to 10KHz. That's a polling rate equivalent to reporting the sector gear status 10,000 times per second. Match that with an Arduino that operates at 16MHz, and we easily have the ability to read every single time the sector gear rotates. Using this principle, it's very simple to throw together a script that instructs the Arduino to act as we want it to. 
 
We are essentially building the world's most space-inefficient GATE Titan. All to avoid a crappy trigger. 

And that's pretty much the outline for the project. In the formal Part 1, I'll be assembling the "gas system", as it's the only assembly I have all the parts modelled to their final iterations so far. 

See you then.
-Craig, ETW



 

No comments:

Post a Comment